Monday, February 18, 2019

C. gets dumped

Last week's hydro and C. is with the replacement therapist
As you regulars are by now aware, hydrotherapy is unequivocally the highlight of my daughter's life. We go to great lengths and expense to give her this perk.

I've posted numerous photos and videos of her hydro performances. And we couldn't ask for a better therapist.

So I was blindsided three weeks ago when that therapist informed me she would cease her work with C. and swap with another therapist.

While I do consider the one she's swapping with to be competent, she can't compare with her previous one.

And here's the reason her "ex" gave: the woman hasn't been feeling well recently (she cancelled last week's sessions) and was told by her doctor that one cause of her symptoms was stress. He advised her to eliminate as many stress triggers as possible. Turns out our C. was top of her "hit list".

You're probably as baffled as I was until she explained that she always dreads that C. will seize in the middle of a session.

She said she hopes I'm not offended.

Now, since I've never blamed myself for C.'s epilepsy, I can't fathom why I'd take offense. But I sure am disappointed and confounded.

C. has rarely seized during a hydro session and, even when she has, she's recovered within two minutes. And this same therapist has years of experience with epileptic children at C.'s old school.

But the bottom line is that it stresses her now.

What helps me understand her situation is equating it with my driving. Once upon a time, I was fairly adept behind the wheel and capable of inter-city trips with relative ease. But I'm so jittery now, I never leave our city limits and only transport our grandchildren on brief, familiar routes - and never on highways.

Fortunately, C. has yet to scare away her Occupational Therapist or her Speech Pathologist. They both seem rather pleased with her responses to them. The OT is working on her grasping and releasing of objects and the SP on her responses to questions of preference with her hand. Pointing her index finger is the sign for "yes" and a fist is "no".

E., her caregiver, and I are trying hard to incorporate various questions into her daily activities. So before every sip of water, for instance, we ask her whether she'd like some.

Hoping they don't ditch her any time soon.

No comments: