Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Antibiotic = anti-epileptic?

Illustrative image
This could conceivably have been orchestrated worse - say while the Hubby was in Prague for three days last week. But even though he'd returned home the previous night, it was still pretty awfully timed.

So for several days, C., her caregiver E. and I were all sick in unison. That meant from Friday afternoon until Monday morning I was caring for a rather ill C myself. Sunday, I dashed out for my own blood/urine tests but was otherwise homebound all those days. I've been diagnosed with a UTI and am on antibiotics. 

C.'s blood and urine tests indicated the flu which blindsided me since I had her down for a definite UTI too. But when her fever rose on Friday morning, I panicked, called the doctor back and was glad he prescribed 3 days of prophylactic antibiotics.

The worst aspect of her illness was her suppressed appetite resulting in dehydration. We had one 25- hour stretch with NO urine whatsoever. I know, I know, I should have rushed her to the ER. But that's an ordeal I just couldn't confront. When she finally wet herself, she produced torrents.

E.'s illness involved a fainting spell - a symptom she says she's been prone to since childhood. Given that she spent three of her formative years living on the streets of Manila, that was a frightening fact to learn.

But a weird aspect of C.'s virus has been her reaction to the antibiotic. As I've noticed several times in the past, she stopped seizing since starting the antibiotic. Stopped! Cold turkey, for 4 days! 

Today is day 5 and she has only had one tiny one. She has already been off the stuff for two days but I imagine there's a residue in her system.

Has anybody out there ever observed this reaction to antibiotic? I've never mentioned it to any of the neurologists because it seemed so illogical and inconceivable. But could it be that antibiotics have anti-epileptic properties?

Have I discovered a magic bullet?

No comments: