Sunday, January 13, 2019

Two switches: To a wetsuit and to a drier diaper

After a three week closure for repairs, the local therapy pool finally reopened. 

During its closure, I took C. to the neighborhood regular pool where I do my laps. It's only heated to around 27 degrees Celsius (about 81 Fahrenheit) versus the therapy pool's 33 degrees (91.4 F). 

While she floated passably well in it, she didn't kick and was clearly cold. Can you see the difference between her demeanor in the two pools in these photos? If it isn't apparent trust me, she was shivering.

In the cold water
In the warm water
A friend who was in the pool with his baby during one of those sessions suggested buying C. a wetsuit. Diving isn't our thing so we promptly boned up on them and ordered one from Amazon which equally promptly sent it.

Here is C. trying it on. 

Stay tuned for a report of her maiden swim in it.

Another major switch we've made is of C.'s diapers. I have been resistant to using adult diapers, clinging to the largest size of Huggies. I'd use two at a time for greater absorption but her pants were always getting drenched nonetheless. I can't really explain my reluctance to switch other than because the smallest of the adult ones are still too large and bulky for C. 

Well, one of my daughters took the bull by the horns and brought us a couple of packages of adult diapers. E., C.'s caregiver, was immediately smitten with them and I came around eventually too. 

Her pants do get drenched occasionally but not always as before. Also, because of the improved absorption, those spots that were prone to pressure sores are totally healed. 

Win win.

No comments: