Thursday, December 20, 2012

Chest-patting and fever

I haven't had much time to write. C.'s gushy nose, congestion, fever and seizures have consumed me the past few days.

Notice I did not mention coughing. I wish she'd cough - with her mouth open. The best she gives is a few closed-mouth, ineffective coughs. They do nothing to clear her out.

I ache to cough for her. The best I can do is give her Advil and chest patting (official term: chest physiotherapy, see this source.)

Years ago when she was hospitalized with pneumonia the nurses showed me how to do that physiotherapy. I lay her on her stomach over a pillow on my lap with her torso on a downward slant. Then I cup my hands and pat her chest all over for about 20 to 25 minutes. She seems to enjoy it.

Thank heavens, this illness hasn't progressed to pneumonia (so far) and the fever is a lot lower every day. Perhaps the patting helped.

But I'd still love to hear a few hardy, coughs.

P.S. To keep her lungs clear, I also placed a pillow under her mattress to achieve a slant for her torso. And plenty of sitting and standing, of course, throughout the day.

No comments: