Thursday, March 8, 2018

A great school - but not for the students

I gave a lift yesterday to a woman I recognized from C.'s "alma mater".

Of course, during the ride I asked her about the state of the school since C.'s graduation. It had switched, at that time, from a private to a government-run school so I was curious about the impact that ensued.

The woman raved about the change. When I pressed her for details, she cited "benefits and gifts to the staff" noting that. teacher's aides, for instance, now work only five instead of six day weeks and only until 2:30 pm.

All in all, she gushed, things are great.

Then I asked her how the administrative switch had affected the children. Were they receiving more therapies, for instance? (While C. was there, the number of therapies per week was piddling. At best, one half hour session per week of physical, occupational and speech therapies).

"No", she divulged readily. "They receive fewer therapies."

"But everybody seems pleased," she added. "I don't hear any parents complaining".

I choked, silently... This woman was unabashedly lavishing praise on the new administrators although the children were suffering.

And those children are entrusted to her care. Not very reassuring, right?

Thoughts anybody?

PS: We didn't manage to get to the neurologist this week as intended. But, for now, we aren't feeling the urgency since C. has grown weary of that mysterious vomiting and has even cut back on her central fevers. The Hubby plans to meet the neurologist next week to discuss strategies for reducing seizures. Yeah, I know, he'll go without C. since she's been thoroughly examined by the pediatrician just last week. Yeah, I know, we never seem to give up the futile fight.

4 comments:

Rebecca yourig said...

I know. Galling, isn’t it? People tend to look out for themselves. They want more money for less work. I understand it but it really hurts when those goals take from those so much more helpless, and who have less than those who want to give less to them. I’m sorry

Elizabeth said...

It's not futile, ever, even if you have to take a rest every now and then and regroup. As for the school -- ugh. I'm so glad that we're done with that whole charade.

The Sound of the Silent said...

You're so right about periodic regrouping. I find the determination wanes every so often and then surprisingly returns to its previous intensity. The marvels of human nature. And yes, good riddance to "formal special education"! So much energy was expended in interacting with and pleasing the staff and for such meager benefits to C.

The Sound of the Silent said...

To Rebecca:
I was glad to hear that staff conditions had improved. What disturbed me was her assessment of a generally great situation when in fact, by her own admission, conditions for the children had deteriorated.